Back from the Open House. Let’s just say that it was a little like “Toto, I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore”. The first indicator that something was amiss was when we walked in and the teacher said “The classroom is not really ready yet but Max can play while we talk”. Um, isn’t having a ready classroom the point of an Open House? Aren’t you supposed to show Max where he’s going to put his back pack and where the circle area is? This classroom had no labeled cubbies and the names of the kids from last year were still up on the weather chart and calendar. Oh boy.
Some additional highlights of our visit include:
- being told that the teacher just received Max’s file the minute we walked in door even though it’s been available since June
- being told that the kids were served Cookie Crisp for a snack. COOKIE Crisp?!?!
- being told that Max probably couldn’t start tomorrow because we had rejected his IEP (which we didn’t)
- seeing that the names of the kids from last year’s class were still up on the calendar and weather chart
- having the Para Professional apologize for being late because she was in the classroom next door looking at wedding photos
- having the school nurse balk when I told her Max would probably bring his own snack because no one in the school was able to present me with a list of ingredients for the snacks they served. Did I mention that one of those snacks was COOKIE CRISP?!?!
Needless to say I was in tears on the way home and am seriously considering figuring out what I have to do to renew my teaching license. I CANNOT believe this is how special ed programs are run. Let’s see how the first day goes tomorrow.